The Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE) was created again officially following the Federal Cabinet reshuffle on 28th July 2015 (Tuesday) in a special press conference by the Prime Minister. This is in accordance to the provisions of the Act relating to higher education.
MOHE’s integral role is creating a higher education ecosystem with the finest Public Universities (UA), Private Higher Educational Institutions (PHEIS), Polytechnics and Community College. These institutions are the main components in the national education ecosystem and training to generate first-rate thinkers, scholars, masters, skilled and semi-skilled manpower in accordance with their respective roles.
To ensure the success at this role, MOHE has three (3) departments that manage the institutions of higher learning, namely:
- The Department of Higher Education (JPT) – UA and IPTS;
- Department of Polytechnic Education (JPP) – Polytechnic; and
- Department of Community College Education (JPKK) – Community Colleges
Efforts to achieve this role are also supported by agencies with roles that are vital in higher education, namely:
- The Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA)- supervising and coordinating quality assurance as well as accreditation of national higher education; and
- Perbadanan Tabung Pendidikan Tinggi Nasional (PTPTN)- coordinating the financing of higher education.